Why the dating of the book of Revelation matters?
Who Wrote The Book of Revelation?
Revelation 1:9- “I, John, your brother and fellow participant in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. “
- Polycrates (the 2nd century Bishop of Ephesus), says that the tomb of John is located in Ephesus. He says that John “was a priest, wearing the sacerdotal plate, both martyr and teacher.”
- St Irenaeus, who was the Bishop of Lyon (180 AD), also mentions that John died at Ephesus. Irenaeus makes the claim that John wrote the Gospel and his letters at Ephesus and the Revelation when he was on Patmos.
The case for a late date authorship of the Book of Revelation (95-96 AD)
Was The Book of Revelation Written Before 70 AD?
1) The Syriac Bible
2) The Seven Kings of Revelation 17:10
“They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while” (Rev. 17:10).
1. Julius Caesar
49 - 44 BC
2. Augustus Caesar
27 BC - 14 AD
“They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; but when he does come, he must remain for only a little while” (Rev. 17:10)
- Julius Caesar
3) Even Those Who Pierced Him
Lo, he doth come with the clouds, and see him shall every eye, even those who did pierce him, and wail because of him shall all the tribes of the land. Yes! Amen (Revelation 1:7 YLT)
4. The Jewish Persecution of Christians
5. Judaizing Heretics in the Church
6. The Existence of Jerusalem and the Temple
Revelation 11:1- Then there was given to me a measuring rod like a staff; and someone said, “Get up and measure the temple of God and the altar, and those who worship in it.
7. The Time Statements of Revelation
8. John’s Known Appearance in 96 AD
9. The Timetable Comparison with The Book of Daniel
10. Only Seven Churches
Revelation 1:4- John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before His throne,